“PROMISES” Character-Building Stage System
At Promise Village, struggling children and troubled teens discover opportunities to grow in character, increase self-esteem, and receive positive reinforcement through the “PROMISES” Stage System.
Step-by-step, teens in our program learn by the working of the eight “PROMISES” principals to internalize important values and earn privileges by accepting responsibility.
The PROMISES include the practice of:
- Patience – delayed gratification and discernment in decision-making and behavioral responses.
- Respect – honoring one’s self, others, God, the environment, and authority figures.
- Opportunity – looking and striving for the best outcome in every situation.
- My Responsibilities – taking ownership for personal obligations and responsibilities.
- Integrity – being honest, trustworthy, and genuine with one’s self and others.
- Self Control – thinking before reacting to temptations that are destructive to one’s self and others.
- Excellence – striving for one’s best actions and intentions in all situations.
- Service – giving of one’s self for the benefit of others.
These eight character building virtues have been identified to help instill long-term change in the lives of children and youth. The “PROMISES” Stage System focuses on building from the residents’ strengths in each of the eight identified areas. Each stage helps residents to grow in defined key areas. Stage 1 focuses on nurturing these character traits in their own lives. Stage 2 focuses on them being able to help and encourage their peers. Lastly, Stage 3 focuses on being able to transfer their progress back into their home environment. The “PROMISES” Stage System is an important and tangible way of measuring progress and seeing growth right before your eyes.